Sunday, December 18, 2011

So....I'm Engaged!

So now I'm officially engaged, so I won't be a hipocrite anymore telling people how to have successful relationships! It feels weird but also completely natural. It's the next step in a relationship but lots of couples do it for that reason- not because they really want to. It's just 'what you're supposed to do.' You either break up or you get engaged. After several years together, those are your choices. For me, it feels like I am just so lucky. I get to be with my best friend forever. And we get to have sex? This is awesome! Seriously though, for all the ups and downs we've been through I feel happy to be here. It took me years to realize what I had right in front of me. I thought "oh I love him, but he's not xyz" or "do I have to live with his annoying habit forever?" I didn't get it that great guys who are caring, funny, hard-working and cute don't grow on trees. You find someone you love who loves you back? And they treat you better than anyone has ever treated you? You hold onto that person and never let go.

On the practical side, I got to plan a wedding now. I wish I had a million dollars to have this amazing big day. But I'm not rolling in the dough- and it's hard to plan a wedding when you A. don't have money and B. aren't a girly-girl who's dreamed of pink place settings and sparkly dresses her whole life. So I'm just going to do my best. That's all you can do. In life, in your marriage, in your job. A wedding is one day. Your relationship is for the rest of your life (hopefully).  What's really important- perfect dress or the person you love?

2 comments:

  1. Break up or get engaged - as awful as it sounds on paper, those are your choices in a relationship really. the relationship either works out or it doesn't - you stay or you go, right?

    As for planning your wedding, if you need any help, I'm here for you. I just went through that exercise in the past 2 years. :) Planning an affordable wedding is possible - our entire wedding was $8200, including my dress. (PS - I still have it, wanna try it on???) Start with the knot.com - I have lots of other sites for you check out.

    ReplyDelete